January 14, 2010

Excelsior Coffee







Ever since I started working at my current job, I made a habit of grabbing a cup of americano at this cafe every morning.

The reason why I'm writting about this is becuase I notice something different with the service of the cafe's in Japan compared to the Philippines.

Almost definitely when it comes to the cafe's in the Philippines, after visiting for a week the Barista would recognize me and would prepare my drink before I reach the cashier. On the other hand, the Japanese cafe's or at least the one that i've been going to, does not seem to bother recognize nor remember what I regularly order.

I don't really mind the fact that I have to mention my order each time I visited but I'm more curiouse about the reason behind it. If I was the barista, I would definetely recognize the customer if I get to see them every morning. Doesn't this make the customer feel like returning to that cafe if they recognize you? Is it wrong to be friendly with the regular customer? May be it's cultural. Or simply their marketing strategy is just different.

Just a thought...

I wonder how other cafe's in other countries are....

1 comment:

  1. hmm.. you should definitely change the cafe. It's about to start the morning with a smile instead of feeling someone "ignores" you. In my country it's also like in Philippines you mentioned. By time you can even become friends with the waiters and the staff.

    ReplyDelete